Your picture book cover will either make or break your book sales.
You’ve spent many months if not years working on your book. Rewriting it over and over until every word is perfect. But customers will not buy your perfect book if they do not find the cover appealing. I can’t stress how important a book cover is to sales and promotion of a book.
Most books are purchased in bookstores and online. The only way a customer can choose a book is by looking at the cover and reading the limited text on the back cover. When you promote your book, what will customers see first? That’s right, it’s the cover. A book cover is not the place to save money. Using an unskilled illustrator or designer on the cover will doom your book no matter how skillfully it is written.
- Customers will not purchase a book online with a bad or unreadable book cover.
- Reviewers will not consent to review a book with a bad book cover.
- Bookstores will not take you seriously. Forget about being asked to do a book signing.
- Libraries will not want your book on their shelves.
- You will be at a disadvantage when attending author events.
- Magazine editors will say no to featuring your book on their pages.
- You will not even have success by hiring a publicist. Even they can’t overcome the problem of a bad book cover.
What is the difference?
- Professional book covers are easier to read at a reduced size because the title is designed by a graphic designer.
- They look professional because they are designed by someone who is trained to work with illustration and text.
- Magazines and newspapers love to review them and show them on their pages.
- Customers in bookstores snatch them up.
- Reviewers are can’t wait to review them.
- Amazon shoppers are attracted to them and pop them into their shopping cart.
- Marketing these professionally designed and illustrated books is easier because the cover sells the book.
Which type of cover do you want for your book?
When I illustrate a picture book, I usually illustrate and design the complete book. Below are a few of the picture book covers I have designed for self-publishing authors.
If you want to talk about your picture book contact me below: